PADI Open Water Diver
Becoming an PADI Open Water Diver is a great way to start your scuba world! The course is generally based over 4 relaxed days, with all theory being completed online prior to arriving on the island. So, very little classroom time and the study is online!! This means the days are for in-water time, not sitting behind a desk!
One of the most sought after scuba diving credentials in the world!
The PADI Open Water Diver course is usually run over 4 days.
- Homework: Before the course you complete the PADI online training. This is mandatory for our courses and it reduces classroom time!
- Quick quiz: On day one of your course we'll give you a quick quiz - just to check all that online training is in still there!
- Pool: You'll complete 5 pool sessions as part of your course. The first of these will be in shallow water, with your head just beneath the surface! Once comfortable you'll venture deeper into our 3.2m deep training pool so you can learn in water deep enough to experience skills such as ascents.
- Boat dives: Once you have completed your online theory/exam and pool sections of the course we'll take you out to the beautiful reef surrounding Rarotonga for four scuba boat dives, over 2 days. The first 2 dives are to a maximum depth of 12m and then 18m for the remaining dives, all with an Instructor.
- Certification: When you have completed the course we will take your photo and issue you with proof of your international PADI Open Water Diver qualification.
- Effort: Learning to scuba dive is similar to learning to drive a car. We won't qualify you for just turning up! You must put in the effort to complete the academic sessions, pool sessions and Open Water dives or you won't complete the course.
- Certification (we take the photo for you!)
- Full equipment rental
- All training required to complete the course
Approximate time commitment - example only
We generally base the course over 4 days, so that you don't end up with information overload!
- Home study of theory via the PADI website (12-15hrs)
- Day 1 AM - Paperwork & Theory quick quiz
PM - Pool training - 1:30pm-4:30pm
- Day 2 PM - Pool training - 1:30pm-4:30pm
- Day 3 PM - Boat dives 1 & 2 - 1:30pm-5:30pm
- Day 4 PM - Boat dives 3 & 4 - 1:30pm-5:30pm
The course is performance based so daily times may be extended or shortened depending on students ability. We usually spread the course over 4 days so students aren't spending full days of their holiday with us! This also means not spending a whole day in the water which even on a hot day (with a wetsuit) can drop body temperature.
- The PADI online learning is compulsory, contact us to sign up.
What's NOT included
- Transfers - can be arranged POA
- Good level of fitness
- Medical statement completed - Read the Medical requirement for courses here
- Min age 12 years (under 18's require parent or guardian signature)
- You need to allow a minimum of 24 hours after completing your dives to fly off the island
- Able to tread water/float for 10 mins
- Able to swim 200m or 300m with mask, snorkel & fins
- PADI Online Learning completed before arrival contact us to sign up.
- Courses run with min 2 students - email for availability.
- All rental equipment is included, although we recommend own mask/snorkel
- Max rental gear size: Waist size 100cm maximum, Chest 120cm, Hips 112cm
Price: NZ$ 595 (incl required online learning)
One-on-one course available NZ$ 785
Price valid for courses completed prior to 31st Dec 2020
Book PADI Open Water online